Sunday, July 27, 2008

Open Source and Creative Commons License

My fiancee is very invested into and passionate about the open source movement, and he's sucked me into it. I'm now using open source software, etc.

One thing I just did was license this blog, Sines of Learning, and its companion webpage the Sines of Learning Document Page under a related license:

the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

Creative Commons is a non-profit that provides the necessary legal language to license your creative works (writings, art, etc). They help you pick the right license based on what you want. In my case, the only thing I wanted was that neither my work nor anything built on it be used for commercial purposes. After all, if I give it away free, everyone else should too! So I used the following language (generated by the Choose a License feature) on both:

"Sines of Learning is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

Based on a work at
sinesoflearning.blogspot.com

Some rights reserved. No attribution necessary."

I added the "No attribution necessary." because the license specifies that attribution must be given according to the originator's instructions. I'm not worried about getting credit for it. I just want to know that if I ever create something that is some use to some one, somewhere, they can use it for free.

Please consider copyrighting your own blog and materials under a Creative Common license too!

1 comment:

bradley chung said...

Thanks for that info. I've been writing a geeky tutorial on the practical uses of the imaginary number (picomonster.com), and was looking for some legal language around how it can be shared. This is perfect!

Thanks
Brad